SSIIM Paper Series SPECIAL ISSUE!
To celebrate the 10 years of activities, SSIIM Unesco Chair is pleased to release the first SPECIAL ISSUE of SSIIM Paper Series
“MASONS AND MAIDS. CLASS, GENDER AND ETHNICITY IN MIGRANT EXPERIENCES”
edited by Bruno Monteiro and Faisal Garba
The papers presented in the volume are the result of in-depth research work carried out by young researchers from different countries on migrants working in the construction and caretaking sectors. The significance of the topics addressed in the different chapters with regards the role migrants play in the city lead SSIIM Unesco Chair to publish this Special Issue, inaugurating one more tool for disseminating the results of research on the migration-city nexus. Many thanks to the two editors, , who proposed and curated this interesting pubblication!
- Foreward, Marcello Balbo
- Introduction, Bruno Monteiro, Faisal Garba
- An analysis of migrant presence in the Galician labour market, Antía Pérez-Caramés and Iria Vázquez Silva
- Absent presences. Neoliberalism, political exclusion and precarity among African migrants in Germany, Faisal Garba
- The Construction Industry in Portugal: trends in production and labour from 2000 to 2015, Gonçalo Marques Barbosa
- Construction Workers in Dimona: an Oral History, Shelly Shaul
- The public image of construction workers; Media representations in Portuguese newspapers (1997-2017), Francisca Mena Gómez
- Establishing and performing an intimate work culture through identity niching in South Africa’s domestic sector, Bianca Tame
- On “race”, racism and “class racism”: research notes on Portuguese migrants in the construction industry, Bruno Monteiro
- The City under Construction: Cape Verdean construction workers in Lisbon, Catarina Sampaio
Download here >> SSIIM PS N.18, SPECIAL ISSUE